With many zoos and wildlife parks focused on captive breeding programmes, nutritional aspects on a wide range of mammals are being investigated. With assistance from zoos, we have produced products which provide essential nutrients to improve diets for carnivores and primates. We can also manufacture milk replacers from an exhaustive list of mammal species kept in zoos.
Primate Meal is a vitamin, mineral & essential nutrient supplement for captive primates including Monkeys, Apes, Gibbons, Marmosets & Lemurs.
- Mix with pureed fruit to make a nutrient-enhanced "Primate Cake".
- Provides additional vitamins, minerals & antioxidants that may be lacking in a captive diet.
- Contains added essential amino acids & fatty acids for healthy skin, cell & brain development.
Download Data Sheet
Primates eat a variety of leaves, fruits, nuts insects and other sources of animal protein. Primate Meal provides vitamins, minerals, carotenoids (antioxidants), essential amino acids and fatty acids that may be lacking in the captive diet. Primate Meal is usually fed as a cake and may represent from 20-40% of the diet.
(per kg Primate Cake)
(per kg Primate Cake)
Protein 220g 120g Folic Acid 4mg 2mg Total Fat 52g 28g Biotin 450µg 230µg Saturated Fat 13g 7g Cyanocobalamin 100µg 52µg Monounsaturated Fat 19g 10g Calcium 14g 8g Polyunsaturated Fat 20g 11g Phosphorous 9g 5g ME 14MJ 8MJ Magnesium 430mg 250mg Retinol 400µg 480μg Iron(Fe++) 25mg 14mg Cholecalciferol 60μg 30μg Zinc 18mg 10mg d-α-tocopherol 550mg 290mg Manganese 10mg 5mg Nicotinamide 150mg 80mg Copper 3mg 2mg Pantothenic Acid 56mg 30mg Iodine 500µg 210µg Pyridoxine 13mg 7mg Selenium 140µg 80µg Riboflavin 10mg 5mg Total Carotenoids 15mg 9mg Thiamine 38mg 20mg
Preparation of Primate Cake
- Puree 800g of mixed fruits in a suitable food processor (eg apple, banana, orange, carrot, pineapple, pear or other available fruits or vegetables).
- Add 300ml of water to the puree and mix thoroughly at slow speed.
- Weigh 1200g of Primate Meal into a basin, then slowly work the fruit puree into the meal to form a moist dough.
- Flatten the dough into a cake tin at a thickness of about 1cm and then freeze.
- Once the cake is set it can be sliced into useable squares and fed out.
- Cake may be stored frozen for upto 2 weeks.
Contact Us directly for suppliers of this product